Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Buying The Right Keyboard

Hey, when I first took an interest in playing piano I of course had to buy a keyboard. Now there are many types out there, but getting a good one to start with can be somewhat of a challenge.

The main challenge is getting one that you can keep playing even when you get better. It may be cheap to buy a $50 dollar keyboard, but as you get better you may realize that you will want something better. Now there are two types of keyboards out there. There are the lower end 61-key keyboards (don't get me wrong these are lower end but they still work very well) and the higher end 88-key keyboards (these have as many keys as a regular piano.)

First I am going to talk about 61-key keyboards. These keyboards can be found for much cheaper and I recommend starting with them. The only thing you are losing out on with a 61-key keyboard is that they don't have weighted keys, these simulate the feel of a piano and you will be losing out on that feature. It's still fine if you are playing contemporary songs on the piano. If you are going in to more classical piano, and you don't have a grand piano, I would recommend spending a little bit more for a weighted key 88-key keyboard.


I started off with the Yamaha PSR-293. This keyboard was a 61-key keyboard and it cost me $200. This would be the price range I would look around if you are starting. Now the PSR-293 was a good keyboard to start playing on, and it was good enough to keep playing for a while. The main reason was that it was made well and most of the sounds on the keyboard were good enough to play live with. The PSR-293 is not made any more but there are many other Yamaha keyboards that are almost the same for the same price.

Personally I would recommend a Yamaha keyboard that is around $200. This is mainly because I think for the price range, Yamaha has the best keyboards in that range. Casio is another popular brand, but I think that they are not made as well as Yamaha keyboards in this price range. I do have a very good Casio keyboard but it cost me around $400. They do have very good keyboards in their higher end brands, but for lower end keyboards I believe there are better brands in that range.

Recently I bought a new keyboard, and it was a Casio CDP-100. This keyboard is an 88-key keyboard and it has weighted keys. If I was starting off piano, and wanted to play more classical pieces, I would start off with this keyboard. Even if you are just playing contemporary pieces and you want something like a real piano to start off with, I would recommend this to you as well. For getting an 88-key weighted keyboard I would recommend a Casio. These keyboards are made really well and they are really the only ones that won't break the bank. With a Casio you will look at spending $400-$600 for a good one to start off with and continue playing.

So for 61-key keyboards I recommend Yamaha. For 88-key keyboards I recommend Casio. I would look around online to try to find the right one, but again don't pay too much and don't pay too little. $200-$300 would be good for a 61-key keyboard, $400-$600 would be good for an 88-key keyboard.

Well hopefully this helped you in getting ready to buy a keyboard. If this did help please follow me here on blogger and share this on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks.

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment